The boy 编辑
Le Bateau-Lavoir in Montmartre is where Picasso was living when he painted the picture. Some of the local people made a living in the entertainment industry, such as being clowns or acrobats. Picasso used many local people in his pictures, but much is unknown about the boy in the picture.
What appears to be fact from comments made from a variety of sources is that the boy was a model in his teen years who hung around Picasso's studio and volunteered to pose for the oil work.
Picasso own comments about the boy was he was one of the:
From this comment, two interpretations can be made. The first is that Picasso did not want us to know who the boy is. The second is Picasso did not really know the boy.
Painting elements 编辑
There are several elements about the picture to take into account: a young boy, blue clothes, garland of flowers, the pipe, background colour, and flowers painted in the background.
The boy's legs are notably bigger (and thicker) in the picture when compared to the arms. The distortion may have been an error when the picture was being painted, or the boy had very big leg muscles.
On May 5, 2004 the painting was sold for US$104,168,000 at Sotheby's auction in New York City. Sotheby’s did not say who bought the painting. At the time, it broke the record for the amount paid for an auctioned painting (when inflation is ignored). The amount, US$104 million, includes the auction price of US$93 million plus the auction house’s commission of about US$11 million. The painting was given a pre-sale estimate of US$70 million by the auction house.
Many art critics have stated that the painting's high sale price has much more to do with the artist's name than with the merit or historical importance of the painting. The Washington Post's article on the sale contained the following characterisation of the reaction: Template:Cquote
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 http://www.safran-arts.com/42day/art/art4apr/art0408.html
- ↑ http://www.artist-art.com/famous-artist.htm
- ↑ http://www.esparagon.com/MostExpensivePaintings.htm
- ↑ http://www.telegraph.co.uk/arts/main.jhtml?xml=/arts/2004/05/06/bapipe06.xml&sSheet=/arts/2004/05/06/ixartleft.html
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/3682127.stm
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 6.3 http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4910225/
- ↑ A Record Picasso and the Hype Price of Status Objects, Blake Gopnik, The Washington Post, May 7, 2004